good Marlboro light substitute tobacco

For General Discussions on RYO/MYO

good Marlboro light substitute tobacco

Postby larryccf » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am

for those transiting to RYO like i am

Southern Steel Mellow
based on a few reports i'd read indicating Southern Steel Mellow was pretty close to marlboro lights I ordered a couple of their 15 oz bags ($13.49 at Smoker's Outlet)
and got to say it is. To make it as much an apples to apples comparison i cut a couple marlboro light sticks open and injected them into the same tubes i'd stuffed the SS Mellow in (Premier Lights w/17mm filter)

could not detect a taste difference, except for the dry chemical taste at the back of my throat from the Marlboro Lights

i've got some of the gizeh silvertip Extra tubes w/25mm filters on their way in, so i'm expecting they'll smoke a little smoother yet

also have one carton of the gizeh charbon tubes with the charcoal filters due in, as i was curious what they'd do to the taste

Good Stuff Gold and Good Stuff Silver
I'd also ordered in some of the Good Stuff Gold (mild) and Silver (ulta mild)-
the Silver is closer to the marlboro light but halfway thru the cigs, they leave a strange sort of chemical burn taste on my tongue so i'll blend that stuff in with the SS mellow till it's gone

McClintock Blue

Everyone had said this was a great marlboro light replacement or clone and it is, but at $36 for an 8 oz bag, Virginia taxed (cause it's cigarette cut) and shipped, a carton is going to run me about $24 per carton, vs the $7.80 per carton for the SS Mellow pipe cut (yeah, i loaded a carton this afternoon and weighed the bag before i started and then after i finished stuffing. But smoked side by side with marlboro light tobacco injected into the same premier light tubes, the taste of the McClintock Blue was IDENTICAL.
larryccf
Medium Smoker

Re: good Marlboro light substitute tobacco

Postby CTsmoker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 am

I think the best results would be achieved by using a perforated "light" tube, like Zig-Zag Blue or Gambler Gold. On the tobacco front, i think Smokin G's MLT stuffed in a perforated tube would be in the ballpark of a Marb Gold/Light. I couldn't tell you how to replicate the nasty sidestream smell of a Marb Gold though. :lol:
CTsmoker
admin team member

Postby DougE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:36 am

Back when I went to RYO'ing full time I think I wanted something that tasted like a Marlboro for all of a week ....... then I got over it. :D
There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live. ~ Moliere
DougE
Site Admin

Postby larryccf » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:39 pm

CTsmoker - tks, i ordered a carton to give em a try

DougE - i know what you're saying, but from the perspective of someone that's blindly smoked marlboro lights for 30+ years, when they're transiting to RYO, it's easier when we know or think we can transit to a known "baseline" or safety zone. To be frank, last night i already started blending (i'd brought in a number of tobaccos, most pipe cuts with some cigarette cut tobaccos). As well as ordered three different type tubes, and now a fourth.

so i can see the "blend your own" attraction.

one tobacco i'm looking for is a vanilla flavored tobacco for an after dinner smoke. Camel offered (a few years back) some high end cigs in tins, vanilla flavored, mandarin orange, mint and a few others - they were expensive but the vanilla flavored ones hit the spot in the evening.

My main goal though, was the economics of it - here in Va we're paying $37 for a carton of factory cigs. Now, with the southern steel mellow hitting the spot and running $8 a carton, i've got room in the budget to play with different tobaccos.
larryccf
Medium Smoker

Postby DougE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:11 pm

DougE - i know what you're saying, but from the perspective of someone that's blindly smoked marlboro lights for 30+ years, when they're transiting to RYO, it's easier when we know or think we can transit to a known "baseline" or safety zone. To be frank, last night i already started blending (i'd brought in a number of tobaccos, most pipe cuts with some cigarette cut tobaccos). As well as ordered three different type tubes, and now a fourth.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from about the familiarity aspect. I think most people making the transition are looking for something similar to the precons they were smoking. Some are satisfied with just finding a cheaper alternative to the precons they were smoking and never really go beyond that which is really a shame. Back when I was smoking precons, I was smoking just to smoke and really wasn't enjoying it anymore. Once I really got into RYO and discovered all the good tobaccos that were available, I was like a kid in a candy store. Virginia blends, all Burley blends, Perique blends, halfzwares, fullzwares, you name it, I tried it. I found a bunch of different tobaccos I really liked and was actually enjoying smoking again. My tastes are quite diverse now and I'd never go back to being tied to a brand like I was back in the precon days.

My main goal though, was the economics of it - here in Va we're paying $37 for a carton of factory cigs. Now, with the southern steel mellow hitting the spot and running $8 a carton, i've got room in the budget to play with different tobaccos.

My main motivation was getting away from FSC crap ..... the cheaper cost was an added benefit.
There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live. ~ Moliere
DougE
Site Admin

Postby larryccf » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm

"Back when I was smoking precons, I was smoking just to smoke and really wasn't enjoying it anymore. ' you nailed it there

"Once I really got into RYO and discovered all the good tobaccos that were available" and that's what i'm starting to realize
larryccf
Medium Smoker

Postby DougE » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:24 am

DougE wrote:Once I really got into RYO and discovered all the good tobaccos that were available

larryccf wrote:and that's what i'm starting to realize

I'm not sure which is worse, just starting RYO now or starting back when I did. A good number of excellent tobaccos went the way of the dinosaur after SCHIP passed and the blends that transitioned to pipe tobacco aren't quite the same. Perhaps ignorance is bliss in this case since those starting now don't know what once was. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of good tobaccos available now, but I miss a number of the ones that went away.
DougE
Site Admin

Postby larryccf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 am

sounds like what's going on in the firearms industry - and this link is only a minor minor example

http://www.examiner.com/article/osha-sh ... ker-safety
larryccf
Medium Smoker

Postby wileyray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:34 am

Starting off with RYO in a post SCHIP society is not worse, I promise. Ignorance is bliss in this case. It must make recommendations more challenging.
With robot accuracy I would have the clerk grab my brand off the shelf, to deviate was unthinkable. Now, within certain perimeters, I'm willing to try anything.
Tobacco purchases that I do not currently find appealing are jarred up with reverence and stored for a later date.
(the safe handling of firearms is critical....I wonder what OSHA would say about my stockpile of bullet alloy)
Friend, some of your foldin' money has come unstowed.
wileyray
Heavy Smoker

Postby larryccf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 am

well to wrap this up, for anyone else that starts RYOing and looking for a marlboro light taste.

tried about 9 different tobaccos from recommendations - the only one i haven't had a chance to try was the one CTsmoker gave, the Smoking G's MLT

the Southern Steel Mellow is the winner - a smooth mild tobacco from the beginning of the smoke to the end, obviously without any of the chemical taste or aftertaste of the marlboro light.

I don't want to say it's the identical taste of a marlboro light, but will say it is what a M light should taste like.

As an additional note, i ordered some of the Southern Steel Vanilla and got to say "WOW", it smokes like candy - definitely not a daily smoker but a great "after meal" smoke and something to break up the routine of the SS Mellow and i will be blending it with the mellow, maybe a 5% ratio to start with, to see what it does to if i can sweeten the mellow a little.

Tube wise, right now it's a toss up - tried quite a few, including the zigzag blues - the gizeh tubes so far seem the smoothest, the gizeh charbon and the gizeh silvertip airstream (now called the AirPlus) are about equal - beautifully neutral in taste, absolutely no influence on the tobacco taste. My only gripe with either of those two gizeh tubes is the filters are short 15MM - means more tobacco per cig. And there' was something strange with the AirPlus tubes - about 4 out of 10 tubes, the powermatic ii tore a small pc of the paper out of the tube, where the gripper holds the tube to the nozzle. Out of six different tubes, this was the only one i experienced that with. I'm still waiting for the gizeh silvertip extras to show up - think they coming by way of muletrain from smoker's outlet. But i'm really hoping the 25mm filter gives the same smooth taste the charbon or airplus do.

but at $13.34 per 15 oz bag or even the $5.72 per 6 oz bag, my per carton tobacco cost is under $5, even allowing $3 per 200 tubes, i'm still under $8 per carton
Once the gizeh extras show up, i'll be ordering 30 bags of SS Mellow (six oz size) and a few of the vanilla, then start looking at blends

appreciate the input CTsmoker and DougE and others gave
larryccf
Medium Smoker

Next

Return to General RYO/MYO Discussion